Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above,
where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.
Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.
Colossians 3:1-3

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Hugging Puppies

Yesterday morning, I made the two-hour drive to Palmetto for the Special Saturday Tour of the Southeastern Guide Dogs, Inc. I haven't been there since I interviewed Helen Arnold, an SEGD graduate and staff member, for my master's thesis on the human-canine bond in 2003. Helen was greeting the visitors so it was great seeing her and her smooth-coated collie, Corky, again.

A highlight of the tour is the puppy kennel. Along with other visitors, I sat on the concrete floor of the puppy room. Seven-week black and yellow lab puppies crawled from one person to another. One sprawled for a few moments on my lap before waddling over to the water dish.

I only wish we lived closer so I could hug puppies every week!

1 comment:

Tabitha said...

Happy Belated Birthday?!
What a fun puppy day! Do you have a dog at home? We have a mini dachschund. :) We got her when we were first married; our *first* child. The girls LOVE her and she is very protective of them.